Mega returns with a true definition of what passion is


Around the end of July 2017, Mega suffered a career-threatening accident, which I can also term as Life-threatening. In a total mood of deflation, I posted this and I certainly feared the worst on he being able to play again. When Diva [our skipper] and I met him in the hospital, we just said "Mega, wait for a year, you are going to be on the field soon". Within me, I was thinking even that time frame was a highly optimistic one. He looked terribly damaged which I wouldn't be able to put in words.

Fast forward to a little over 5 months, he was playing for the company again. This time he was needed much more than earlier, because too many key players have moved on from the team. Forget about playing well, he being there on the ground by itself was a far-fetched thought. I missed his batting, but I heard he has continued from where he left before the road mishap. 67 runs off 32 balls opening the innings and playing on almost till the end, is something I couldn't have dreamt about a few months ago. The team won the game and there was an addition to his already stacked trophy cabinet. 

But today is not about winning the game nor the skill he displayed. I witnessed a terrific exhibition of passion, self-belief, grit and determination. Mega has spent more than a quarter of his life playing Cricket. Anyone else in his place would have felt "I have played enough, let me just move on to something else". Mega is getting married this year and nobody would have blamed him if he had taken that route. However, he is a different beast and is made of a different material to many of us.

Mega is a living lesson to everyone who is blessed with skills but too lazy to break free and achieve things, or be content with underachievement. He is a role model to anyone who thinks setbacks are forever and a return to normal ways is impossible. He is perfect example for anybody who plays the Sport, for sport is about battling injuries to attain glory. Mega did that brilliantly today! With less than 60% of what he is truly about, he is still winning Man of the Match awards, as a man possessed!

The fitness has dropped a bit, his pace has come down a few notches, he looks slightly labored on the field but mentally he has got much stronger than how he was earlier. In the end, that will take him far and further in life.

Keep playing, Mega! I'm absolutely thrilled and proud about you - you had me in tears! You have floored everyone by your fighting spirit, courage and never-say-die attitude. You have well and truly returned and it looks like you were never away!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Super" - Directed and Acted by Upendra

How to make best use of your lock-down time?

HRIDYAA - Cute and little she maybe, but the impact she creates is massive!