Be the change, ask questions, knock the right doors!


(Read time - 5 mins)
This quote isn’t directly related to what is going to be written in this passage. But it closely resembles another favourite quote of mine - You cannot keep repeating the same steps and expect different results. All of us complain about things going wrong every single day. But very few of us are prepared to get down, get our hands dirty and try to change things around. It's time we step out of the crowd and start considering every public problem as our own.

How many times have we stopped at the white mark in traffic signals, while others happily move as close to the signal as possible while waiting? We will look foolish, but being rightful while looking foolish is alright. I was punched by a group of men once for failing to make way to their honk, while I waited for the signal to turn Green [BTM Signal, 16th Main, Bangalore]. I felt hurt but not ashamed - which I think should have happened to those men. When was the last time we questioned a nationalised bank official, when at 3:45 PM they ask us to come back tomorrow, while the official closing time is 4 ‘o’ clock? We will be called rebellious, but it’s good to be called so when you are merely expecting people to do their duties responsibly. When will we get the courage to stop the shopkeeper from offering goods in a polythene bag to one of their customers, who either forgetfully or wantedly visits the shop hands-waving? The shopkeeper is most likely to shrug you off saying “My business gets affected when I send them off, please don’t mess things up”. But even if one of those customers realise their mistakes, our job is done.

But why do we hesitate? Is it because we are scared to question or is it due to the fact we have decided that the problem is not ours? I have come to understand both are sins. Based on some of the experiences I have gone through in the last few months, one point is vivid to me. If you question through the right channel, there are people who are willing to answer. We tend to believe our administrative personnel in particular are brash, irresponsible, disrespectful and everything on those lines. The reality is far from it!


I lost my job around a year ago and I wasn’t greatly confident of getting into a new one soon. I had an active home loan at that time. I decided to withdraw my Provident Fund, a 3 and a half years savings. Unfortunately, my name was spelt differently in different records and withdrawing the money was anything but straightforward. I visited the PF office a few times and every time I faced a huge crowd. We did have a token system but the time spent in the queue to reach the counter is inversely proportional to the time allocated to you by the officer who spoke with you - you know which one is higher. Out of frustration and a bit of optimism, I wrote a letter and dropped it in the complaint box!

A few weeks later, I received a call from a PF officer. She was concerned that I had to go through a lot of difficulties to claim my PF money. She guided me with each step, put me on line with some other officers, spoke to me multiple times with a lot of kindness and ensured I received my amount within the next couple of months. What looked like a toil for half a dozen months, was made simple by the officer’s intervention. The point is - if we question loud, we will be answered.

Likewise, I was able to address a faulty street light and a leaky salt water tap in our street, through online complaints. The officials do give us calls and listen very carefully to our problems. When we explain, they religiously send workers to the spot and get things addressed. Every incident gets considered with utmost priority. One night, a group of construction workers were creating a racket next to our apartment. Unable to sleep due to the noise, I raised an online complaint about them. I received a call from the Police station within the next couple of days. Our Government officials do respond! It’s left to us to make them respond.



Every one of us have a responsibility! If you want to see a positive change, the first thing you should ignore are the detractors and the last thing you should let go is courage! Be aware, there will still be a group which says, "There are bigger problems in the country, why make a fuss out of these trivial aspects?". Brush them aside and do your part!



A couple of URLs which proved useful to me. There are too many other sites that listen to online grievances. Use contact us emails, emphasise on queues everywhere, ask people not to litter, question officials, report poorly thrown out garbage, complain about traffic violations even if they look harmless, demand quality and customer service, get annoyed whenever things go wrong! I have lacked conviction and courage many times in my life, I simply expect the readers to be more authoritative than what I have ever been!



Comments

  1. Hi Babu, sure u touched a nerve in me against unruly citizens with this.
    I salute your conviction to stand and voice out with a honest articulation. Very well written. Happy that you have put words to what was and is going thru my mind since a couple of years. Now i know am not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Super" - Directed and Acted by Upendra

How to make best use of your lock-down time?

HRIDYAA - Cute and little she maybe, but the impact she creates is massive!